This week DOT will unveil plans to improve safety for people who walk on Empire Boulevard, at two of the most dangerous intersections in Brooklyn, to Community Board 9. DOT wants to add public space and reconfigure the traffic pattern where Empire meets Remsen and Utica avenues, and convert a slip lane on Franklin Avenue into a plaza. Given that from 2009 to 2013 there were 490 injuries, with 29 serious injuries, at these two intersections combined, this project is a no-brainer. But since DOT generally won’t make streets safer without the blessing of the local community board, friendly voices are crucial.
More calendar highlights below. Check the calendar for complete listings.
- Today: DOT will host the first of two public workshops on transportation issues in Washington Heights. 7 p.m.
- Tuesday: The City Council transportation committee holds a hearing on two bike-share bills — one to require DOT to report Citi Bike usage data every quarter, and one to require DOT to report annually on Citi Bike finances. 10 a.m.
- Tuesday: The second DOT Washington Heights workshop. 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: The Brooklyn CB 8 transportation committee will discuss a proposal to revive the B71, lost in the 2010 MTA service cuts, on a modified route. 7 p.m.
- Tuesday: DOT will make a presentation on the Empire Boulevard safety project to Brooklyn CB 9. 7 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.