This Week: Rockaway Freeway Safety, Citi Bike Showcase
As we reported in April, high school students interning with the Rockaway Waterfront Alliance are working to persuade DOT to convert under-used asphalt on the Rockaway Freeway into a safe space for walking and biking. They developed a plan for the project and have gathered over 1,000 signatures in support.
On Thursday, the plan will get a hearing before the transportation committee of Queens Community Board 14. RWA is calling for supporters to attend the meeting or send messages to the committee via firstname.lastname@example.org. The meeting starts at 7 p.m. in the cafeteria at Martin De Porres High School, 140 Beach 112 Street, in Far Rockaway.
Here are the rest of this week’s calendar highlights:
- Today: The Manhattan CB 10 Vision Zero Task Force wants your input on pedestrian and traffic safety issues on Harlem streets. The task force is holding the second of two Vision Zero workshops this evening from 6 to 8 p.m. RSVP requested.
- Today: The transportation committee of Queens Community Board 2 will hear from DOT on its plans to redesign Broadway and beautify spaces under the 7 train viaduct. 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: Join the NYU Rudin Center for Transportation, BetaNYC, and OpenPlans for a showcase of Citi Bike-related projects, featuring Citi Bike managers and presentations from the top visualizations and apps. 6:30 p.m. RSVP requested.
- Thursday: Weigh in on Queens street safety issues at a Vision Zero workshop in Jamaica, with small group discussions moderated by DOT and NYPD. 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday: DOT will present a bike network project for Flushing Avenue and a proposed one-way conversion for Wallabout Street to the transportation committee of Brooklyn CB 1. 6:30 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.