Streetsblog and Streetfilms Are Searching for a Development Director
After three stellar years with Streetsblog and Streetfilms, our development director Christa Orth is embarking on a new chapter with the fundraising consultancy Wingo. Christa masterminded the creation of a fundraising system essentially from scratch, and it’s safe to say Streetsblog and Streetfilms would not be in the position we are today without her. If you’ve ever attended one of our benefits or happy hours here in New York, you probably heard her ebullient laughter. We’re going to miss her and we wish her all the best.
We are now accepting applications for the development director position, which is based in our headquarters in New York. Here’s what we’re looking for in our next hire…
Founded in 2006, Streetsblog and Streetfilms produce powerful media that makes the case for designing cities around people, not cars. With outlets in four major cities plus coverage of national policy, Streetsblog is the marquee news source in the movement for streets that work better for walking, biking, and transit. Streetfilms is the go-to online video site for educational and fun short films about how smart transportation policy results in better places to live, work, and play. Streetsblog and Streetfilms are projects of OpenPlans, a 501c3 non-profit organization.
Streetsblog and Streetfilms have a robust fundraising program supported by small donors, large donors, foundations, advertising, and corporate sponsorships. We seek an experienced development leader to work with our staff, board, and volunteers to grow our fundraising, so we can increase the impact of our media outlets.
Working closely with the Streetsblog Editor-in-chief, the Development Director will be responsible for strategic planning, implementation, and oversight of all efforts to raise approximately $800,000 annually and grow additional support over time. Activities include:
- Work with the Streetsblog and Streetfilms Advisory Board to grow our base of small and large donors
- Identify prospective foundations, write grant proposals and reports, cultivate relationships with existing philanthropic supporters
- Grow individual funding base through online fundraising campaigns, direct mail, and events
- Solicit corporate sponsorships and manage corporate funding relationships
- Oversee all events including our annual fall benefit, The Streets Ball (250+ attendees)
- Write organizational materials including funding reports, appeals, and acknowledgments
- Manage the Salesforce donor database, generate reports for finance reconciliation and budgeting
- Supervise volunteers and other members of the development team
Qualified candidates have a bachelor’s degree and at least five years development experience, with demonstrated growth in responsibilities over time and a track record of raising funds from a number of sources. Must have experience working with major donors and managing an annual funding program. A passion for and understanding of livable streets issues is a plus.
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with the position to start by June 15th or earlier.