This Week: Join Us at The Streets Ball
Do you have your tickets yet? On Thursday, support Streetsblog and Streetfilms at The Streets Ball. Join us in honoring Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan, City Council Member Danny Dromm, and Brooklyn Community Board 16 Chair Bettie Kollock-Wallace. Plus: Enjoy local food from Kickshaw Cookery, beer and wine, a livable streets silent auction, and live music.
Also on this week’s calendar: Important community board meetings about safety redesigns for Amsterdam Avenue on the Upper West Side and Fourth Avenue in Bay Ridge, a one-day pedestrian plaza uptown, and a gathering of transit and transportation experts from around the country.
Here are some highlights from this week’s livable streets calendar:
- Tuesday: After a nearly three-hour meeting late last month, the transportation committee of Manhattan Community Board 7 is set to consider a resolution asking DOT for complete streets and a protected bike lane on Amsterdam Avenue on the Upper West Side. 6:30 p.m.
- Also Tuesday: After delaying a vote last spring and continuing discussion over the summer, Brooklyn Community Board 10′s transportation committee will discuss DOT’s traffic calming plan for Fourth Avenue in Bay Ridge, in advance of the full board vote set for October 21. 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: Confused about how the MTA is funded and where the money goes? Join Riders Alliance for a discussion of MTA funding with representatives from NYPIRG Straphangers Campaign and the MTA’s Permanent Citizens Advisory Committee. 6:30 p.m.
- More Wednesday: Hear from Staten Island District 50 City Council candidates John Mancuso and Steven Matteo at a sustainability forum hosted by the New York League of Conservation Voters Education Fund. 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday: Harlem Community Development Corporation hosts a one-day temporary plaza at West 150th Street and Frederick Douglass Boulevard — part of an effort to bring a permanent pedestrian plaza to the neighborhood. 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Also Thursday: Transit Center, Inc., will host experts from around the country to showcase transportation ideas from their regions and predict the next innovations in urban mobility. 12:30 p.m.
- More Thursday: Join Streetsblog and Streetfilms at The Streets Ball, as we celebrate the livable streets successes of 2013 and honor Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan, City Council Member Danny Dromm, and Brooklyn Community Board 16 Chair Bettie Kollock-Wallace. 6:30 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.