This Week: MTA Transit and Toll Hike Hearings
With the transit disruptions wrought by Sandy fresh on the minds of New Yorkers, this week’s calendar is full of hearings on proposed MTA transit and toll hikes. Also: TA recruits for community boards, and work continues in Brooklyn for a safer Fourth Avenue.
- Tuesday: Ahead of an MTA transit and toll hike hearing at the Baruch College Performing Arts Center, Transportation Alternatives will host the “People’s Fare Hike Hearing,” where advocates and elected officials will “discuss the need for our state government to invest in transit instead.” 4 p.m.
- Tuesday: The MTA holds its Manhattan transit and toll hike hearing, at Baruch College. 5 to 9 p.m.
- Tuesday: The MTA’s Bronx transit and toll hike hearing will be held at Hostos Community College. 5 to 9 p.m.
- Tuesday: When it comes to street-level transportation policy, no entity is more powerful than the community board. If you live in Manhattan and would like to be a voice of reason on your local board, you can apply on the spot at TA’s Manhattan Community Board Join Up. 7 to 9 p.m. RSVP requested.
- Wednesday: Join the NYU Rudin Center for “The Wisdom of Transportation Crowds,” a panel discussion about crowdsourcing, community organizing and technology to improve mobility in the New York region from the ground up. 6:30 p.m. RSVP requested.
- Wednesday: The transportation committee of Brooklyn Community Board 10 will host a Fourth Avenue Safety Visioning Workshop. 7 p.m.
- Thursday: The MTA holds its Queens transit and toll hike hearing, at the Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel. 5 to 9 p.m.
- Thursday: TA hosts a Queens Community Board Join Up. 7 to 9 p.m. RSVP requested.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.