Still Time to Submit Jane Jacobs Medal Nominees
The deadline for submitting nominees for the 2008 Jane Jacobs Medal has been extended to Monday, Feb. 4.
As we wrote a couple of weeks ago, the award recognizes "two living individuals whose creative vision for the urban environment has significantly contributed to the vibrancy and variety of New York City." The medal comes with $200,000 in prizes.
Recipients will be people who:
- Make New York City a place of hope and expectation that attracts new people and new ideas
- Challenge traditional assumptions and conventional thinking
- Promote dynamism, density, diversity and equity
- Generate new principles for the way we think about development and preservation in New York City
- Take a common sense approach to complex problems
- Provide leadership in solving common problems
- Respect neighborhood knowledge
- Generate creative use of the urban environment
- Demonstrate activism and innovative cross-disciplinary thinking
- Give us new ways of seeing and understanding our city